Monday 19 September 2016

A little bit about me



My name is Paul and I have recently returned to school as a Master of Education student at Simon Fraser University.  Having taught elementary school for the past 21 years, I feel I have reached a place in my career where delving more deeply into any topic would be wonderful.  I am a gardener, a bird watcher and a runner and the obvious connection to my activities is the outdoors.  I have been involved in track and field and cross-country running all of my life in a variety of roles. I have been an athlete, coach, club president, meet director and BC Games chairperson.  Much of my spare time is divided between working as a coach with young adults as they search for athletic success in track and field and working on the organizational side of athletics in my community of Coquitlam. I am extremely interested in health as it relates to children but I am also interested in lifelong health and wellness.  I wonder about what are the key factors that lead to a happy, fulfilled day-to-day life and ultimately, as we age, what brings us joy as we reflect. 

I am currently teaching a kindergarten/grade one combined class in the lower mainland and I have been teaching early primary for the past seven years.  It is very interesting to try and expand my intellectual vocabulary in a university setting again when I have spent so many years trying to simplify my language to communicate with young learners who are often just beginning to learn English.

I am the father of twin girls who have just entered grade four and I am married to their amazing mother who is the key to the privileged life I feel I am having.  As my own children become immersed in activities outside of our home, I find I am wondering more and more about what really matters to their development as caring, kind, productive and successful members of our community.  I have always felt that one’s physical well being is a key component of emotional well being because this has always been the case for me.  I am starting to question this belief.  The sense of well being I get from running is likely available through other avenues such as artistic expression.  This concept of wellness and the general sense of whether a person feels a deep contentment of who they are and possibly what their purpose is on our planet is a topic I find intriguing and I plan to explore it more deeply during my time at SFU.  I hope to bring a reflective approach to our class discussions and to learn many things as we go. I look forward to an exciting and fulfilling journey.





No comments:

Post a Comment