Sunday 2 October 2016



Self-care


It makes sense that self-care will be unique to each of us.  By definition self is, “a person's essential being that distinguishes them from others, especially considered as the object of introspection or reflexive action”.

Photo by Paul Self

Clearly self-care is a different journey for each individual.  Each of us brings a toolbox of strengths and weaknesses filled with unique items. As a result our self-care is diverse.  Some of us need space and quiet time to recharge our batteries, some need to journal, paint, dance, vent verbally, socialize or escape through exercise or music.  My definition of self-care would include all of these things and countless more ideas. My guiding principle for self-care is that self-care will result in a sense of grounding which will help an individual to replenish their capacity to continue on with the meaningful components of their life. 

Therefore, my self-care includes those things that I am passionate about and the things that lead to much of my personal satisfaction and fulfillment. I see this as a balance between the physical, social, and emotional needs we have as individuals that allow us to be happy and productive members of the many communities with which we interact.

Being outdoors is critical to my self-care.  Whether running, walking, gardening, birding or spending time with family, much of this I prefer to do outside.  Despite my love of running, I have always disliked running on a treadmill and I have never realized exactly why.  I have always felt it was the shear boredom of running in the same spot but it really has more to do with the confines of exercising inside.  The idea of a treadmill set up outside in my backyard where I can feel the wind and see the trees, birds and bugs seems pretty good actually.

Photo by Paul Self

The quiet of the outside appeals to me.  I was reflecting on this just this morning as I ran through Colony Farms in Coquitlam.  Finding time to run is always difficult at the start of the teaching year and this year is no exception.  Sunday mornings generally, are quiet times for my family and I am usually able to reconnect with my physical self.  With age has come a little bit of wisdom.  I no longer run with expectations of speed or distance traveled.  I make it up as I go and find the effort much more satisfying.  I often throw my camera and binoculars in the car in case I see something of interest (usually birds) while I’m running and I will go back to take photographs. And if the effort to run just feels ridiculous, I will go for a walk. 

Great Blue Heron at Colony Farms                                   Photo by Paul Self

Note: The photos are from Colony Farms.


3 comments:

  1. Nice photos and thanks for sharing. I never though of music as an escape before, but I guess it kinda is. It brings us into our senses and allows us to feel deeper, rather than thinking so much. I find great connection to myself and soul in it. Perhaps I'm a bit of an escape artist :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful Heron it looks so peaceful and content

    ReplyDelete
  3. Photography is a love of mine, I am not so great at it.... don't have a good understanding of the photo process, I just know what I like composition wise. Kind of like wine.

    ReplyDelete